National University of Ireland, Galway
NUI Galway is organized by disciplinary schools located within the five Colleges, three of which UNC-Chapel Hill students will be able to take classes in:
- College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies,
- College of Business, Public Policy and Law
- College of Science.
NUI Galway will be of particular interest to English and Comparative Literature majors and minors given its research strengths in Chaucerian studies, theatre, Irish studies, women’s writing, post-colonial studies, and travel and periodical literature. Furthermore, The Centre for Irish Studies is a designated Area of Excellence at NUI Galway, providing specialization and distinction in Irish literature and language.
NUI Galway is on a semester-based course system, which facilitates transfer of credits back to UNC-Chapel Hill. Visiting students can expect to take 5 - 7 courses per semester and will receive transfer credit at UNC-Chapel Hill provided a grade of ‘C’ or better is achieved in each course. It is University policy that international students undergo the same assessment as NUI Galway degree students, and assessment is usually by end-of-semester examination or essay(s). And, like universities in the UK, instructors at NUI Galway expect students to take responsibility for their education, and reading lists and essay exams take the place of pop quizzes and multiple-choice tests.
Back To Top
Tuition and fees for the exchange program is equal to UNC’s rate, based on NC residency status, and will be charged to the participant’s UNC student account. Review the Budget Sheet for additional Cashier Billed Expenses and Out-of-Pocket Costs. The Study Abroad Office strongly encourages students to budget carefully for their time abroad.
Getting Started: Funding Study Abroad
- Complete the required UNC application by clicking “Apply Now” at the top of the page. If you have not done so already, create a profile to start your application.
- The Study Abroad Office will review applications and nominate qualified students to the host institution.
- Nominated students are required to complete an application for the host institution. Follow instructions provided by the Study Abroad Advisor and make note of all deadlines.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|