| Courses & Credits
| Program Costs
| Application Process
| More Information
Keio University is unique in that it is one component in an educational corporation, Keio Gijuku, that also operates an elementary school, eight high schools, a professional school, a junior college, and other research institutions. The university is composed of eight undergraduate departments: Letters, Economics, Law, Business and Commerce, Medicine, Science and Technology, Policy Management, and Environmental Information.
Keio University is located on the south side of Tokyo, near the Tokyo Tower. The university's location allows students to experience different aspects of Japanese life. The downtown area of Tokyo reflects Western influences, while the rest of the city displays the full range of Japanese culture in its architecture, festivals, food, and daily life. Farther afield lie the beautiful mountains and lakes of the kanto, the name for the area surrounding Tokyo.
The Program is composed of Core Subjects and Subjects with a Specific Focus. The goal of these courses is to improve speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. In addition, Japanese Studies on Society and Culture is offered to deepen the knowledge necessary to understand Japanese society and culture. Together, the varied courses are designed to enable students to compose a course of study that suits their particular academic needs and interests.
Student can select one of two program tracks:
- Keio International Program (KIP): This program is suitable for students who wish mainly to study various subjects in Economics, Business, Politics, History, Literature, Area Studies, etc. conducted in English. They can also take up to 4 Japanese Language courses in addition to the subjects. Those who are placed at Level 8 or above of the Japanese language placement test maybe able to take undergraduate courses offered by Keio University Faculties.
- Japanese Language Program (JLP): The curriculum is designed to assist students in attaining the high level of Japanese proficiency required for research and other academic activities in specialized disciplines. The Program offers a range of course levels and subjects, so it is easy for students to find a program that fits their needs.
**Please note that generally each course offered at Keio will earn 1.5 UNC TREQ credits, so students must take at least 8 courses per semester while at Keio.**
Courses in this program are Transfer Credit.
Transfer Credit Courses (not taught by UNC Faculty): ACTION REQUIRED
- You must submit the Credit Request Form to earn any credit for your time abroad.
- You must earn the equivalent of a C or higher to earn any credit.
- These courses will transfer back to UNC as “TREQ” credits.
Students generally live in subsidized apartments (furnished as efficiencies) or dormitories (with a shared bath, shower, and cafeteria). Placement is made according to students' requests and housing availability.
Review the Budget Sheet posted above for detailed information on costs and fees. Costs vary per term and are subject to change.
Tuition and fees for the exchange program is equal to UNC’s rate, based on NC residency status, and will be charged to the participant’s UNC student account. Review the Budget Sheet for additional Cashier Billed Expenses and Out-of-Pocket Costs. The Study Abroad Office strongly encourages students to budget carefully for their time abroad.
Getting Started: Funding Study Abroad
Follow these steps to apply for this program:
- Complete the required UNC application by clicking “Apply Now” at the top of the page. If you have not done so already, create a profile to start your application.
- The Study Abroad Office will review applications and nominate qualified students to the host institution.
- Nominated students are required to complete an application for the host institution. Follow instructions provided by the Study Abroad Advisor and make note of all deadlines.
For information on requesting ARS accommodations (academic, health, and mobility concerns) for a study abroad program, contact the Advisor for Access
Back To Top