| Courses & Credits
| Program Costs
| Application Process
| More Information
University of Mannheim
The state-to-state exchange program between North Carolina and Baden-Württemberg is offered through BW-UNCG, a UNC System Schools Exchange Program. The program offers students the opportunity to pursue coursework at one of the nine German universities in the state of Baden-Württemberg and includes a one month pre-session language and orientation program before you begin to study at the university.
Mannheim is the only exchange program in Germany offered in the fall term, due to the academic calendar lining up with UNC's.
Mannheim is the second largest city in Baden-Württemberg and the home of the University of Mannheim. Mannheim has a strong academic reputation. Its School of Business is considered one of the the best in Europe.
The language prerequisite is 2 semesters, completed by the start of the program.
Courses in humanities, media studies, economics, law, business mathematics, and “business informatics” are available at Mannheim. A good number of courses are available in English. An online course catalog
is available on the Uni Mannheim website.
List of faculties and departments:
- School of Law and Economics
- School of Business
- School of Social Sciences (Departments of Political Science, Sociology, and Psychology)
- School of Humanities (Departments of English Studies, Germanic Studies, History, Communication and Media, Philosophy, and Romantic Studies)
- School of Business Informatics & Mathematics
Courses in this program are Transfer Credit.
International students in German universities often live in either student dorms or WGs (Wohngemeinschaften or shared apartments). There are various types so it is best to go the web site of each university and find the information on housing which is usually found in the International Student Guide.
Click here more more information on housing in Mannheim
Students will be required to purchase German National health insurance while they are abroad. Those students wishing to apply for a scholarship offered by the state of Baden-Württemberg should contact the Study Abroad Advisor for further details.
Review the Budget Sheet posted above for detailed information on costs and fees. Costs vary per term and are subject to change. The Baden-Württemberg Exchange Programs require a supplemental application fee of $150, paid to UNC-Greensboro
(the program administrators).
Tuition and fees for the exchange program is equal to UNC’s rate, based on NC residency status, and will be charged to the participant’s UNC student account. Review the Budget Sheet for additional Cashier Billed Expenses and Out-of-Pocket Costs. The Study Abroad Office strongly encourages students to budget carefully for their time abroad.
Getting Started: Funding Study Abroad
There is one application for the Baden-Württemberg/UNC System Exchange program. On the application, you will rank your preferences of B-W schools. Please note that your placement is based on a variety of factors, and your first choice is not guaranteed. Due to drastic differences in the German and U.S. academic calendars, Uni Mannheim is the only B-W school available for Fall study abroad.
Follow these steps to apply for this program:
- Complete the required UNC application by clicking “Apply Now” at the top of the page. If you have not done so already, create a profile to start your application.
- The Study Abroad Office will review applications and nominate qualified students to the host institution.
- Nominated students are required to complete an application for the host institution. Follow instructions provided by the Study Abroad Advisor and make note of all deadlines.