SFS AUSTRALIA: RAINFORESTS OF NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
In this dual-country program, study the impacts of environmental and social factors on forest fragmentation in the spectacular, once-vast rainforests of Australia and New Zealand. Compare endangered species management practices, meet with Indigenous communities to learn about their use of forest resources and relationship with the environment, and learn about ecosystem restoration approaches.
- Learn about the Maori people’s connection with nature as you explore the ancient podocarp and Kauri forests of northern New Zealand, which contain trees estimated to be more than 2,000 years old.
Students live and study at the SFS Center for Rainforest Studies. Our Center lies at the end of a narrow, winding road, in the middle of a lush rainforest. The 153-acre property is surrounded by protected World Heritage forests, and you can see incredible wildlife from the front steps of your cabin. Nearby Yungaburra and Cairns provide the occasional return to civilization.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
Courses & Credits
| Program Costs
| Application Process
| More Information
SFS: Australia (Rainforest Management Studies)
Courses in this program are Transfer Credit.
Transfer Credit Courses (not taught by UNC Faculty): ACTION REQUIRED
- You must submit the Credit Request Form to earn any credit for your time abroad.
- You must earn the equivalent of a C or higher to earn any credit.
- These courses will transfer back to UNC as “TREQ” credits.
Review the Budget Sheet posted above for detailed information on costs and fees. Costs vary per term and are subject to change.
Tuition and fees for the program are set based on the host institution’s rates, and will be charged to the participant’s UNC student account. Always refer to the Budget Sheet on this page, and not the host institution’s posted rates, as it is customized for UNC students. Review the Budget Sheet for additional Cashier Billed Expenses and Out-of-Pocket Costs. The Study Abroad Office strongly encourages students to budget carefully for their time abroad.
Getting Started: Funding Study Abroad
Follow these steps to apply for this program:
- Complete the required UNC application by clicking “Apply Now” at the top of the page. If you have not done so already, create a profile to start your application.
- Contact your Study Abroad Advisor for further instructions for the required IFSA-Butler supplemental application.
- In order to participate in the program, both the Study Abroad Office and partner institution must accept your application. Note that decision notification timelines may differ.
For information on requesting ARS accommodations (academic, health, and mobility concerns) for a study abroad program, contact the Advisor for Access