NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Explore Chile’s recent political and social history and discover how Chileans are working to reconcile with the past and create a more equitable and culturally inclusive society.
- Explore how Chileans today are using social, cultural, and political means to achieve representation, communication, and identification.
- Examine the challenges facing Chile’s indigenous peoples.
- Work on a community project with an NGO in Valparaiso.
- Rapidly improve your Spanish.
- Develop on-the-job skills with an internship or conduct independent research during the final four weeks of the semester.
- Witness the debate between truth and justice and reconciliation in the context of the human rights violations during the Pinochet regime.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
During the final four weeks of the program, you can choose to use your new language and cultural skills and the academic knowledge you have acquired to complete an Independent Study Project (ISP) on a topic of interest to you. You may pursue research that produces a non-traditional ISP, such as a photography exhibit, a video, or another digital or creative platform. Conducted in Valparaíso or in another approved location, the ISP offers you the opportunity to conduct field research under the guidance of an advisor.
- Memory and political violence
- Social movements
- Gender and sexuality
- Indigenous beliefs and culture
- Migration and ethnic minorities
- Conflicts, political parties and processes
SIT internships are hands on and reflective. In addition to completing the internship, you will submit a paper processing your learning experience on the job and analyzing an issue important to the organization you worked with, and/or you will design a socially responsible solution to a problem identified by the organization.
Sample Internship sites:
- Strengthening vulnerable populations through art, sports, and respect for diversity at School Laguna Verde, a primary school in rural Valparaiso
- Working on political and international issues at think tank Libertad Institute
- Promoting on Chilean students’ mobility and study abroad opportunities with Universidad de Valparaíso International Relations
- Working on human rights issues within vulnerable communities at INCITA Corporation
- Providing advocacy, education, and support for people living with HIV/AIDS at ACCIONGAY
- Supporting indigenous populations through methods based on Mapuche cultural practices at Guacolda, an intercultural high school in Chol Chol
Key Topics of Study
- Chile’s “successful” economic model, development, and social inequalities
- Community responses to Chile’s socioeconomic changes
- The Pinochet regime, human rights violations, and Chilean history
- Truth, justice, and reconciliation
- Current civil socies) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
Courses & Credits
| Program Costs
| Application Process
| More Information
The language prerequisite is 3 semesters, completed by the start of the program.
Courses in this program are Transfer Credit.
Transfer Credit Courses (not taught by UNC Faculty): ACTION REQUIRED
- You must submit the Credit Request Form to earn any credit for your time abroad.
- You must earn the equivalent of a C or higher to earn any credit.
- These courses will transfer back to UNC as “TREQ” credits.
Review the Budget Sheet posted above for detailed information on costs and fees. Costs vary per term and are subject to change.
Tuition and fees for the program are set based on the host institution’s rates, and will be charged to the participant’s UNC student account. Always refer to the Budget Sheet on this page, and not the host institution’s posted rates, as it is customized for UNC students. Review the Budget Sheet for additional Cashier Billed Expenses and Out-of-Pocket Costs. The Study Abroad Office strongly encourages students to budget carefully for their time abroad.
Getting Started: Funding Study Abroad
Follow these steps to apply for this program:
- Complete the required UNC application by clicking “Apply Now” at the top of the page. If you have not done so already, create a profile to start your application.
- Follow the instructions on your UNC application to submit the supplemental application required by the partner institution.
- In order to participate in the program, both the Study Abroad Office and partner institution must accept your application. Note that decision notification timelines may differ.
A NOTE ABOUT PASSPORTS AND VISAS:
For information on requesting ARS accommodations (academic, health, and mobility concerns) for a study abroad program, contact the Advisor for Access
It is strongly recommended that students have in their possession by the application deadline a valid passport with an expiration date no earlier than 6 months after the program end date. Due to visa regulations, students should consult their Study Abroad Advisor before making international travel plans prior to the program start date. Students accepted into this program will need to travel to a Spanish consulate here in the United States, with passport in hand, to obtain a visa permitting them to study in Spain.
NOTE About Language Placement Tests:
If you are not taking Spanish at UNC but believe you have the equivalency required, please take the free UNC online language test (this is not the language placement test that you may have already taken). Send your name, PID, and email to Elizabeth Bruno (email@example.com). She will add you to Sakai where the test is set. You will then take the test at any time and will have 40 minutes in which to complete the test. Once you have completed the assessment test, send him the link to the Study Abroad language assessment form and he will complete that based on your results.